Friday, April 15, 2011

Lesbian Cops Blog Tour: End of the Line

And here we come to the last stop on the Lesbian Cops blog tour, and I find myself wondering if I'm able to sum this up. This anthology has so much range. It's hot, it's sweet, it's poignant, it pushes boundaries in all directions. I hope you take the time to check out the book, and what the writers have to say about their stories.

I love writing and reading erotica for its honesty--not just about how it feels good when you do that with your tongue (though it does, and it's damn good to be able to say so). In sex, we are stripped bare literally and figuratively, and I believe that sex shows so much about people.

When I began writing erotica, I worried that it would start to feel mechanical, or that it would make sex seem mechanical to me. In fact, my whole world came to life. I found that I loved sex scenes for the characterization. In real life, I often wonder what it would be like to fuck this or that person. There's a reason that some editions of the Bible refer to sex with the euphemism "knowing." I love Sacchi Green's editing because she really captures this--the sex in Lesbian Cops shows so many aspects of human nature.

And she trusted me to show a dark one.

My first published piece of erotica was a simple lesbian fantasy--cunnilingus for a really, really long time could be the tag line. But very soon I found that writing about sex unlocked a lot more in me. If I could tell the truth--if I could say "fuck" and "pussy" and "cunt"--then there was a whole lot more truth ready to come out. Don't get me wrong--I like my erotica hot, and I try to write it that way. But I also find myself using erotica to write about grief and addiction and abuse, and all kinds of things I was never brave enough to write about before.

In my story in Lesbian Cops, called "A Prayer Before Bed," I write about murder.

In September 2009, I had a profound and terrible experience that is still coming out in my writing. It's very much behind this story. Here, I'm writing about how people deal with the aftermath of murder.

The main characters of "A Prayer Before Bed" are Nechama, a cop, and Marleen, witness to a terrible crime. They have a lot in common, but they perceive each other as on opposite "sides." When I was writing this, I thought a lot about how that's often the case with cops. I respect what police officers do very much, but to be honest I grew up in a house where it was definitely not a good thing to see a cop at the door, and they did come sometimes. Cops were the enemy, even if they were struggling with the same issues we were. There's a lot of hostility and suspicion dividing Marleen and Nechama, and a lot of pain.

Here's where the miracle of sex comes in. Sex is this powerful physical urge that can accomplish what seems to be impossible so much of the time: for a moment, sex allows one person to reach inside another. Nechama and Marleen aren't sweet with each other, but they need each other desperately, and the heat is in that need. That's the side of sex that I'm writing about, and I'm grateful to Sacchi for choosing my story despite its difficult subject matter.

Since I'm the last stop of the blog tour, I wanted to make things a little special. You'll see a few more posts throughout the day. At the end, I'll put up a surprise. Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful and profound, Annabeth. Just ike your story. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to comment this morning, but I don't see it now. I just want to say that your post is beautiful and profound, and you did a better job than I could in nailing the complex functions and potentials of erotica.

    Sacchi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the comments--sorry about the delay in posting. I just changed my settings so they should show up faster. I'm glad you like the post--thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said indeed, and inspirational as well. Please excuse me whilst I bang up some drippingly sexy stories.

    ReplyDelete