Monday, July 25, 2011

Music Mondays: "You Shook Me" by Muddy Waters

"Oh, you kept on shaking me darling--you messed up my happy home." -- Muddy Waters

This is the version of You Shook Me that you need to hear--forget about Led Zeppelin. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Zeppelin cannot match the passion and sincerity of these older versions.

We're back to erotic insanity here. I love how halfway through the song, the narrator--who has until then simply been expressing how passionately he feels about a woman--starts to lament that he doesn't know what will happen to his poor wife and child. The lover has occupied his mind so thoroughly that he can barely think about his responsibilities.

Muddy Waters gets bonus points for his sexy, sexy voice, and other vocalizations that, um, affect me. I especially like the tone he uses to say, "I'm madly in love with you." I've wanted to play that clip for lovers before just because I can't match that tone myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment