Friday, April 15, 2011

Music (Lesbian Cops Edition): "Raised to Be Lowered" by Saul Williams

"To rise above hatred to love through seeming contradiction. To seldom take a side and learn to complement the friction. To bring about the change within that we can't live without." -- Saul Williams

When I write a story, I always start by choosing the music. For "A Prayer Before Bed," I knew I needed rage and urgency, with just a glimmer of hope. I jumped around a bit while I was writing, but Saul Williams' "Raised to Be Lowered" sums it up pretty well.

Nechama and Marleen are both walking wounded, they're both tougher than seems possible, and they're both softer than seems possible. They both want a better world that seems out of reach. They might both ask this question: "Was I raised to be lowered?"

But despite all the anger and fear and suspicion that stand between them, they manage to find redemption in each other's arms, at least for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment