Monday, May 16, 2011

Music Mondays: "Fascination Street" by The Cure

"Yeah, I like you in that like I like you to scream, but if you open your mouth then I can't be responsible for quite what goes in or to care what comes out." -- The Cure

I want to quote every lyric of The Cure's stylishly sleazy "Fascination Street," which so clearly evokes the mood of a relationship that's over but hasn't ended yet. Even though the narrator's no longer in love, he and his lover are still caught in a sexual spell that's holding them together long after they should have let each other go. Robert Smith's impassioned lyrics have an edge of vulgarity that makes the song both hot and despairing.

If this amazing bass line doesn't make you want to grab your doomed love and "move to the beat like we know that it's over," then I don't know what will.

No comments:

Post a Comment