Saturday, May 19, 2012

Tybalt and Mercutio

My first m/m piece will soon come out from Circlet, as part of an erotic Shakespeare anthology. Titled, "The Last Dream," it tells the behind-the-scenes story of Tybalt and Mercutio, up until just before the fatal battle in which Romeo's interference causes Mercutio to die by Tybalt's sword.

I've never written m/m before -- that old "write what you know" adage had me a little nervous. I loved writing this story, since I was busting down that fear and also making bold with some of the most formidable source material ever. In the very beginning of the story, I write some additional lines for Mercutio's famous "Queen Mab" speech. Sometimes, writing makes you feel audacious, and this was one of those times!

I also got to refer to Romeo as "Wandercock" several times, and I wrote all the dialogue in blank verse. So, yeah, I'm proud of this one. I'll post more news and excerpts as I have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment