Monday, February 6, 2012

Music Mondays: "H." by Tool

"I am too connected to you
To slip away, fade away.
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me."
--Tool

I can't say I'm sure what Tool's "H." is about, but I've always found it sexy simply by virtue of its lush instrumentation. And, of course, the memories it brings back--which the block I quoted always bring to mind. From the moment I hear its opening notes, I'm taken back to breathtaking high school makeout sessions.

There was a guy I used to know (there always is). We'd hang out in his room. We were both entranced by the album that includes this song. He'd put it on and we'd sit and listen to it in silence. By the time H. started (it's the third song on the album), we'd be kissing. I remember being utterly caught up in the sound like a wall around us, smelling the detergent on his white T-shirt and the soap on his skin, and kissing and kissing.

Sadly, "Die Eier Von Satan," the tenth song on the album, is entirely unsexy, and it usually killed the makeout.

The guy made me a tape of the album, and I still have it, even though it doesn't play anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment