Monday, February 27, 2012

Music Mondays: "Settle Down" by Kimbra

"It's time to bring you down--on just one knee for now. Let's make our vows."
--Kimbra



This song is both sexy and creepy, and I can't stop listening to it. The video is certainly a mix of both, but the song itself is, too. I worried at first about playing it at home because I didn't want my partner to get creeped out by it, or take it as some kind of weird hint.

Sexy factors:
--Kimbra. Seriously. Her voice, her eyes, her hair, her goth tea party dress.
--The song has a strong air of longing.
--The song has a really girlie vibe that wins me over and comes off kind of hot.

Creepy factors:
--The little girls playing dress-up, the mannequin, the dolls on fire. Pretty much everything about the video.
--The lyrics. "On just one knee for now"? Really? When does he go down on two knees, and what gets him there?
--The childhood marriage fantasy this conjures. The disappointed, trapped adult reality it alludes to.

The combination of all of the above makes for a great song. Ladies and gentlemen, I present: Kimbra.

No comments:

Post a Comment